The following text and picture information has been modified from that compiled for the Otago Settlers Museum exhibition of the same name - June to September 2004 Dunedin. The support of the Otago Settlers Museum and staff, particularly exhibition head Sean Brosnahan, are greatly appreciated.
This locality is tucked away to the west of Kaikorai Valley Road just south of the old Roslyn Woollen Mill. It was developed to house workers at the mill when it opened in 1879 and takes its name from Bradford in Yorkshire, the 'world capital' of the woollen industry in the nineteenth century.
Many English and Scottish textile workers emigrated to work at the Dunedin mill and were housed by the company in this area. Many of the street names reflect the English/Scottish connection. Bradford expanded considerably after the Second World War and a school was opened there in 1954.
Brockville is a destination suburb - it is not on
the way to anywhere else. It is also Dunedin's western-most suburb,
high on the hill above the Kaikorai Valley surrounded by farmland and
bush reserves. This area was settled in the 1850s but remained a largely
rural area at some remove from Dunedin.
The modern suburb began when the government developed
a housing estate here from 1956. This was one of the biggest housing
projects ever seen in Dunedin with the state houses matched by private
developers to create over 900 new homes.
Kenmure is a small locality just south of Bradford and west of Mornington along the Kaikorai Valley Road. Its name comes from Kenmure Road, derived from an Edinburgh street name. A housing estate was built in the late 1950s and stimulated the extension of a light industrial zone along the lower Valley.
A major feature of the area was its two schools:
Kaikorai Valley High School opened in 1958 and Kenmure Intermediate
in 1974. Kaikorai Valley High School was Dunedin's first multi-course
co-educational High School.
This area is a housing development on the south-west
side of Mornington. It spreads out over the gully flanking Barr Street
as it rises from Kaikorai Valley up to the Mornington ridge.
Though it was subdivided as early as 1860 it remained a largely rural zone until the 1950s. Mornington's post-war expansion saw houses march down the gully. A school was established here in 1964. Originally named the Barr Street School it was soon renamed Balaclava.
NB "The balaclava as a knitted hood, covering the head, ears, neck and mouth, was first used by soldiers in the Battle of Balaclava during the Crimean War of 1854."
Burnside is the industrial area at the southern end of Kaikorai Valley. It was so named by the early Scottish settler John Sidey of Corstorphine when it was the part of his cattle run alongside the Kaikorai Stream. "Burn" is a Scottish word for stream. The proximity of the Kaikorai Stream and the main trunk railway made it an early focus of industrial development.
New Zealand's first freezing works opened here in
1882. Kempthorne and Prosser's chemical plant had been established the
previous year and other industrial enterprises followed. These included
the Otago Iron Rolling Mills, the City abattoir, stockyards, tanneries,
a flourmill, cement works and Reid and Gray's farm implements factory.